Tuesday, July 7, 2009

im a chinese australia, born and bred in australia. want to look for work in south korea, where do i start


im a chinese australia, born and bred in australia. want to look for work in south korea, where do i start?

Immigration - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I would say South Korea would be the best place to start looking for work in South Korea!
2 :
get 3/4 of an english degree and a teaching certificate and you could swim there naked and get a job the moment you touch beach. English teachers bank in South Korea, natural speakers are in really high demand. After that it's pretty much normal immigration crap. Passport, apply for a work visa or dual citizenship, or just citizenship.
3 :
At a guess, I would suggest that contacting the South Korean embassy may be a good starting point.
4 :
I don't want this to sound wrong, because it's not how I feel, but... Sometimes it can be hard for teachers -- even native English speakers -- to get jobs teaching English in South Korea if they are not caucasian. There is a weird expectation here that all foreign English teachers be caucasian, or look drastically different from the Korean culture. I have seen a couple of people of African descent who teach here, but I also know of several people of African descent who have been fired upon arrival to Korea because, "their skin is too dark". Literally, that was why. We also know of several Chinese and even Korean Americans who were denied jobs because of skin color/origin. So, I could very well be wrong, and I am sorry I am saying this, but it may be difficult to find a job if someone is to find out you are not caucasian. We (my husband and I) lost a job because the school found out we were on very low dose anti-depressants. I also know people who've been fired/refused positions for being too tall. The culture here is very different from western culture. But I definitely do wish you luck! I just wanted to warn you. As far as where to start: I would start looking at http://www.eslcafe.com and you can decide whether to go with an agency, or to find a job on your own. I would, say, however, that you should strongly consider teaching at a public school as opposed to a private, after school academy. You may witness some violence against children in the public school, but overall, it's a better deal than most private academies which offer very little holiday or time off and which sometimes take you for all you're worth. Hope this helps!