Monday, March 21, 2011

Anyone broken a work contract in South Korea


Anyone broken a work contract in South Korea?
I signed a contract to work for 1 year in Busan, South Korea. I have followed all requirements of the contract. The company has also upheld their commitments to me. I am contemplating leaving the country early and I wonder if anyone has done this. I would give them ample notice and I understand that I would lose the bonus that is due at the end of the contract. The owner seems like a very reasonable person and I think if I explain my reasons he will be accepting of my decision. I just wonder if there will be any legal ramifications, or if I will be flagged with a negative mark with the immigration/visa department. I want to leave on a positive note in case I decide to return later. Anyone with experience in this area, please help! Awarding 10 points. Thanks!
Korea - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
gotta better job waiting for you in america? back to flipping burgers?
2 :
Don't listen to the person above. She is one of two racists now swamping this page. Anyways, I think you have to ask yourself "would I break a contract in the U.S"" a contract is a binding agreement .. they are counting on you to be there to teach and it might not be easy for them to find replacement for you so quickly. There is much more demand for native English speaking teachers than there is supply- you're going to leave them hanging and as much as you want to believe that they would be O.k with it ... I can assure you they probably won't. Koreans have really strong ideas on commitment ... you might even put them off native teachers and they will treat the next one they hire harshly. The school will more than likely just give you a negative review if you were to ever put them as a reference (so that's out) -- I don't think there would be a red flag about you coming back in the country ... but they do also have Korean websites for the 학원's(Academys) and sometimes they put teachers names and photos who violated their contracts/did other bad things. I say stick it out, I mean that is what commitment is .. sometimes you don't like it, but you do it out of respect. Just think about it ... carefully.