Saturday, May 7, 2011

How I get a job working in South Korea


How I get a job working in South Korea?
Okay, for the past few years I've been very interested in Korea its culture and people. Last year I got the chance to go there. I went there by myself for 2 weeks and stayed with a Korean family (the daughter was my penpal) in Changwon. I loved it there. The culture the way of life everything. So much that I was very disappointed when I returned. While I was over there I ran across several people who were there teaching English. I'm going for my bachelors in political science and was thinking of getting into possibly getting a job teaching English or finding another job that welcomes foreigners. How would I first get involved in something like this and what are the steps I'd have to take? Also are there any jobs in Korea for foreigners that don't involve teaching? (I'm not a good public speaker) Also I'd rather not work in Seoul but more further south like Busan or Changwon.
Korea - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Not a lot of jobs for English speakers outside of teaching, but there are a few. Look on worknplay.co.kr, or similar for that. Other than that, welcome to teaching EFL in Korea! A simple web search will yield many results regarding English teaching jobs in Korea. Check out Footprints Recruiting, Dave's ESL Cafe, and Worknplay.co.kr to list a few sources with jobs. There are thousands. All of you have to have is a 4 year degree and be a native English speaker. Anyway, last things I'll say is Google.
2 :
Teaching English in Korea is pretty straightfoward and hundreds (thousands?) of people do it each year. Essentially the steps are these. 1. Get Qualified. In general you'll need a degree and a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certificate to get a visa and work. The TEFL certificate can be taken either in-house or online at your own pace which is a much cheaper option. 2. Find a job their either through an online ad, an agent or simply by being there. And then go there and work! It really is as simple as that. (The link below explains this in much more detail.)