Saturday, August 21, 2010

What should I do for health insurance when studying or working in South Korea


What should I do for health insurance when studying or working in South Korea?
I plan to travel to South Korea, either to teach English or study at a university. What sort of health insurance options do I have for studying or working abroad? By the way, I live in the U.S. When I spoke with Blue Cross in my state, they told me that I have to be a resident of my state to maintain coverage, and that it's "iffy" whether I could maintain coverage while abroad. So, I'm wondering what other options there are.
Korea - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Buy their H.I. when you get their.
2 :
Korea has government subsidized health insurance, so even if you are uninsured, health care is comparatively inexpensive. Most places of employment will pay the part of your health insurance that is not covered by the govt. As a student, you have to provide your own form of insurance from your home country. With insurance, a checkup at the doctor costs about 3 dollars. You can get your wisdom teeth out for less than 100 bucks (I paid over a 1000). And a regular prescription of antibiotics will cost you less than 5 dollars.
3 :
The Korean government's health insurance is required if you're working in Korea and in most cases your company will pay 50%. If you come over as a student, you will need to provide your own health insurance or just go without.