Thursday, July 21, 2011


I've got a question about working in South Korea.?
I'm an American but I want to move to South Korea when I'm older. If I wanted to be let's say a minister then would sermons be in complete Korean? I'm not sure if I would have to be fluent in Korean. It makes sense but a lot of places in Seoul have English speakers so maybe a church would be English speaking. How hard would it be for an American to get this job in South Korea? By the way I'm not Korean or Korean American.
Korea - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
There are English sermons in Korea. I'm not sure if all of the sermons of the Church are done in English, but there are definitely places that use English.
2 :
I've seen many missionaries here who are western but the ministers I've seen are all Korean who speak English or Korean-American .. however this could simply be because people don't want such a perminant job here in Korea or some other reason. I am sure you can get a job as a minister in Korea, as the foreign population grows in Korea so does the need for more English speaking ministers.
3 :
With a Bachelors Degree in any field, no criminal record, can pass a drug test, and HIV test, you will be able to get an English teaching position. That is typically the only job available to someone from an advanced/English speaking country. Modeling, acting and other various media arts are also available if you have experience and a good recommendation from a prior agency. If you have a Masters degree or above in the IT, Engineering, or have an MOT, you could get a researching position at several major companies such as LG, Samsung, Hyundai, GS, etc. Those jobs are hard to come by, and typically taken by people from India or Germany to name a few. Korea isn't the country you can just come and apply for any job. It's tough to find a real good position, and foreigners usually only get a 1 year contract, and thats about it. Be prepared to move around more often then you did in America. Churches in the Yongsan area all have English services, and the major Christain church in Yeuido, and Catholic Church in Myeongdong in Seoul, are 2 of the largest international churches, they of course have English services. You don't have to speak Korean, I rarely meet a foreigner here that can speak Korean well. Unless they are from less advanced countries, and work in factories or farms. They are usually trying to immigrate here, thats why they study and speak the language well.